Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Linda Smith


I was very sorry to hear that Linda Smith had died. And only 48 - so very young. She was truly a part of the fabric of Radio 4 and no surprise to find she was voted the wittiest person on radio - and described by her friend Jeremy Hardy "She was the greatest Englishwoman." She's going to be missed - and so much more could have been expected from her.
What else has happened today? Well, the bird flu is now cat flu - a domestic cat has been diagnosed in Germany. Time to stop all animals and birds being transported in and out of Britain now. I'm going to try and avoid eating chicken - although how can we stop eating eggs - they are included in so many foodstuffs nowadays.
Reading: I finished Truman Capote's "Breakfast at Tiffany's". I was impressed by his writing style and there were some very good short stories included in the same volume. Maybe I should try and find "In Cold Blood"
I've now moved on to the epic tale of the American Civil War "Cold Mountain". Although I'm only a few pages in, I'm already gripped!
And I'm still looking for suggestions about films to go and see. Trouble is there is a Book Event at my local library on Saturday - can I manage both?

No comments: