Friday, February 03, 2006

There's something about Fridays

There was this item on tonight's 'PM' avout donating your body for science (and anatomy study). After your death that is. Well you have to arrange it before death - if you see what I mean - but they don't start cutting you up until after you've gone. This article said it wasn't as easy as it might appear. Sometimes the body isn't suitable (mind boggles) and then the School of Anatomy gives the body back for disposal after they've done whatever they want to do. Perhaps I'll go back to cremation after all. Burial has been a big no-no since I saw an Edgar Allan Poe story on TV about burial alive. Don't fancy that at all!
I broke off to book tickets to 'Tosca' at the Hackney Empire. My favourite opera by far, and I end up going at least once a year. The Hackney Empire is probably a good place for an opera - grand, Edwardian, recently renovated (stars of the ceiling). A former Music Hall, and I'm sure the Music Hall clientelle weren't too bothered about the area, but I wouldn't go there alone late at night somehow.
I'm not really someone who worries too much about the dangers of city life, but I think you need to be sensible. I was in New York a few years back staying in a better part of the city - but even there I witnessed armed police making arrests, and dealers openly on the street. There were times when I felt concerned there. However, the American 'out of towners' staying in the same hotel appeared completely terrified to go out, and regretted not bringing their guns with them for the visit!
I've finished the Bernice Rubens book that we're reading for the book group I attend. Not my favourite of her books, but it did make some interesting points. It was a study of family dynamics, where each member saw the problems very differently. The hero saw himself as the scapegoat for all family ills - so much so that he was driven to insanity. The others saw him more as the manipulator, the puppet master destroying the family.
I'm now on to another book discussing dilemmas. I came across it by accident - 'The Dangerous Sports Euthanasia Society' by Christine Coleman. I am quite enjoying, although it cannot be said to be great literature. I am getting through it very quickly.
I've been so moved by seeing the film 'Brokeback Mountain' that I went out and bought the sountrack. The first CD I've bought in ages. Sat and listened to it and started to weep. How sad am I?

No comments: