Saturday, February 11, 2006

Buying a hamster

My friend J is buying a hamster. Now after the family budgie died recently she said 'never again'. I have to say that after my old and much beloved cat Ben died I was going to wait a few months and then get a kitten (because there are loads of strays needing good homes) but it never seemed quite the right moment. Should we really be encouraging the keeping of pets - what are the benefits and the bad things? I know I get extremely attached to animals myself - and was heart broken when Ben died - like an old friend. On the other hand animal rights campaigners are very against the trade in animals for pets - and should there be limits to what kind of pets we should own?

1 comment:

John said...

Some of the more exotic pets, like sugargliders or rare monkeys are worrisome because they're not fully domesticated. Of course, neither were dogs or cats (or in my case, rabbits) until people started trying.