Saturday, February 11, 2006

Islamaphobia

Thanks to the 471 people who have visited my profile! I hope a few are reading my blog too. This is number 53.
On the 'Today' programme there was a discussion about Islamaphobia. I was amazed to hear one contributor say that there was no proof of an increase in Islamaphobia because examples of spitting at Muslims, pushing & shoving, jostling and name calling was 'normal, expected, behaviour.' Have we really got to the point in Britain that someone who is different must just come to expect to be openly abused walking down the street, without it warranting comment or disapproval. What sort of society are we generating. Maybe that is the free speech people are upholding. As someone remarked free speech or all very well, but just think about the consequences. If you spit at a old Muslim woman probably nothing will happen, if you spit at a crowd of fit young Muslim men I don't think you can expect nothing to happen!
However, that shouldn't be the reason to think I won't attack those who will retaliate - you shouldn't be causing offence to anyone without very good cause - a spurious right of free speech is not enough.

No comments: