Monday, January 23, 2006

Religious thoughts

I'm a total heathen - I lost my religion thirty years ago, and yet I find religion fascinating. Perhaps it is the philosopher within me. I found the TV programme tonight 'Gay Muslims' extremely absorbing because it showed how so many different interpretation of the Koran exist. The general thought is that gay men deserve stoning - it is evil and unacceptable, and yet others say that is not what should be read into the various references to homosexuality. A gay Muslim woman was declarating that what was wrong was to proclaim it, to be proud of it, not the orientation. Interesting stuff.
I've been involved with civil partnerships at work and I am moved by the succession of couples (often of decades standing) who are so pleased to be able to register their commitment to each other. It somewhat disproves the commonly held believe that all gay men are promiscuous. So far there have been far more male couples coming through the doors than women. Last weekend a couple who had been together for fifty years registered their partnership in a local theatre, and nearly everyone (a crowd of over 100) were in tears as they exchanged rings (this included the Registrar). The atmosphere was so charged with emotion.
We have had adverse comments from religious groups who believe that the institution of Christian marriage has been undermined - especially in those Register Offices where 'Marriage Rooms' have been renamed 'Ceremony Rooms', and Bride's Rooms have mysteriously disappeared. I think they forget that Register Offices in the UK are non religious secular buildings.
Any views?

1 comment:

Steve Middleton said...

Thanks Shakir - I've printed it off - very interesting stuff. Keep in touch please