Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Did we survive?

I heard that 23rd January is the most depressing day of the year - it wasn't so bad for me - how was it for you?
And now the review of Mary Poppins - courtesy of my culture vulture friend J.
"I'm now going to rave about Mary Poppins which was terrific and not too sweet and sugary, much more book-like than Disney with just enough nastiness to prevent gagging. The sets are magnificent, the dancing superb, the children way above the normal run-of -the-mill child actors and generally a very good evening out. It ranks as one of my top five theatrical experiences and that's saying something at my elevated age, especially as the others are all some time ago. I seem to have been overdosing on all forms of culture recently. Can you tell that's my New Year's Resolution to see and do as much as possible? I'm really enjoying it too."
I reckon we'll be sharing lots more reviews before too long!
I went to the library today - something I always enjoy, as there are always new books on the shelves. There is something special about being the first person to borrow a book. This time I've taken out "The Story of the Night" by Colm Toibin, "Double Indemnity" James M Cain, "The Dangerous Sports Euthanasia Society" by Christine Coleman, Patrick Rambaud's "The Exile", and "All Souls' Rising" by Madison Smartt Bell. Lots of variety - and only three weeks to get through them. The great thing about my local library is the themed displays they have - bestsellers, new books, books of the film, and they also do voting and reviews. There are always plenty of people there as well - and this is a deprived part of London. I especially like the fact that they have books in lots of languages - the latest is a Lithuanian stand with the Lord of the Rings in Lithuanian. Fantastic!
I was pleased to get letters as well today. I really like old fashioned mail.

No comments: