Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Brokeback Mountain


I went to see Brokeback Mountain today. This is a film that really digs deep into the emotions. I'm really not sure if it should be described as a 'gay cowboy movie'. This is a film about two people finding a level of emotional interdependence that neither of them can really come to terms with. As a result they live out fairly conventional lives - on the surface at least. They get married and have children. But they cannot live without each other. They can't live together either. No other relationships bear any comparison with what they found together in that summer of 1963. Neither men can express their feelings for each other - in fact one has trouble talking about anything at all. At one point the girlfriend says -'I'm with Karl now. He even talks'. She gets the reply 'I bet you're having more fun as well'. She (with tears flowing) counters with 'You don't fall in love with fun'. I suspect that sums it up. Neither men had fun with each other, and yet they couldn't live with each other. 'I miss you so much, it breaks me apart'. All the surviving man has of the dead friend is a shirt and a postcard of Brokeback Mountain. In some ways this is just too sad to bear at times. Makes you think though.

5 comments:

Sarah of Sheffield said...

I can't wait to see it. I hate the branding as a 'gay cowboy movie', in many people's minds an oxymoron. I don't remember Love, Actually been referred to as a heterosexual yuppie movie. I read a great interview with Ang Lee, who directed Brokeback Mountain, in which he admitted that when he directed Sense and Sensibility he could only speak a few words of English. What an achievement! He's welcome at my English lessons anytime if he wants to brush up.

Synna said...

How did you find my blog? Ps: I wrote almost just the same about Brokeback mountain as you, just in norwegian!
Are you from Norway?

Steve Middleton said...

Thanks for the comments - Interesting about Ang Lee too - a great director? Will the film do well at the Oscars though - can the Academy bite the bullet?

Table Mountains said...

nope,it's GAY!

Karl said...

I just wonder for how many other men/women this is a true-to-life story?