Saturday, April 08, 2006

Period of Adjustment

This Tennessee Williams play has not been performed in London in 40 years. Some critics have wanted to know why anyone bothered to revive it. I'm NOT almongst them. I enjoyed this production in the Almeida Theatre in Islington - especially as the seats were only £6 at the matinee performance today! I'm not really an expert on Williams' plays, but this one seems to much brighter than most of his others and does have a happy ending. The Almeida is ideal for this intense play of just four characters and certainly the three who were on stage for almost the entire show were excllent - Jared Harris and Lisa Dillon especially. I'm sure the Southern United States weren't accurate, and with a large American contingent in the audience I'm sure some will have been critical, but I found it easy to follow and the themes still relevant almost half a century after this play was set.
These are not stereotypical characters acting out a cosy drawing room play, and it was well worth my while dragging out to Islington for this show.

No comments: