Sunday, April 02, 2006

Civil Partnership



I went to my friends' C & D's civil partnership celebration last night - it was held on HMS Belfast (see the picture !) I'd actually been the Registrar at the legal formation earlier in the day - although very disappointingly (for me) they had decided to just sign the forms and have them witnessed rather than having poetry, readings, music, and lots of guests.

The evening event was fabulous - we were all piped aboard the vessel, and there were 46 gay men and four lesbians present! Although I knew very few people there (apart from my book group) I had a really fun time meeting lots of new people and getting loads of hugs and kisses - which is always nice. The food was tremendous and there was a great quantity of boose - but I can't drink at the moment. We were all given a souvenir wartime ration book - personalised and a menu - although someone took my vegetarian one and left behind the carnivour version!

Just one thing - why can't you get a 'Congratulations on Your Civil Partnership' card from your average High Street store - Hallmark please note. Especially as there are double the number of expected Civil Partnerships taking place in England & Wales - 25,000 at least this year. Wow!

No comments: