Friday, February 02, 2007

A visit to the National Gallery


My friend J visited me from Manchester yesterday, and so I was able to do those tourist type things that those of us who live in London so rarely manage! We started by having a cup of coffee at the cafe actually sited in Trafalgar Square - and what a beautiful cafe it is too. From there we had a leisurely drift around the Manet to Picasso exhibition in the National Gallery (although they seem to have hidden the Picassos). Now I don't often go to art galleries - but when I do I always feel incredible surprise when I actually see famous works of art - the Van Goghs and the Monets, Pizarros and Cezanne. I especially liked the picture shown above. Strangely the rooms full of renaissance religious works affect me not a jot. A very pleasant lunch in a Mexican deserted restaurant was followed by a wander down Whitehall - London was really looking at its' best yesterday. We sat by the Thames opposite the old County Hall for J to write her postcards, and then had tea in the British Museum. I so enjoy living in London - and think I should benefit from all it has to offer more often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.