Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Scandal of the Blue Badge

I qualify for a blue badge. I qualify because I receive Disability Living Allowance, and find it very hard to walk very far. The blue badge is a godsend too me. However, a report recently has discovered that 50% of blue badges are being used illegally. They are worth over £1000 on the open market - they can allow the user to avoid parking charges and fines. Many blue badges are stolen every day, and some holders lend the badges to friends or members of their families. However, local authorities do have the power to check the usage and prosecute those who are using them illegally. Liverpool City Council has been very successful in wiping out conterfeit and stolen badges within their City.
As a genuine user it annoys me enormously to see the misuse of the badges - and the able bodies (without badges) blocking disabled spaces. On the other hand I also condemn blue badge holders who park without consideration - just because they can.

No comments: