Monday, April 28, 2008

Madama Butterfly


I saw this terrific production at the Hackney Empire, performed by the Ukrainian National Opera of Odessa and starring a Korean singer, Elena Dee. Although it isn't my favourite Puccini (that honour must go to Tosca) this was such an outstanding evening my allegiance might be threatened. Elena Dee was ideal for the role of Butterfly - such a haunting voice, so full of emotion and tenderness, that I can't believe there was a dry eye in the house as she renderd One Fine Day. Unusually though, every singer was first class, even the bit part players, and this was complemented by a terrific orchestra and a traditional set. This was opera without being messed about - and none the worse for that in my opinion. Rating: 9/10

2 comments:

Kaio said...

Hi Steve,
Thanks a lot for visitng my blog.
How are you doing?
Hope you well
Cheers
Dan

Steve Middleton said...

Hi Dan - thanks for visiting here too. Keep well - and maybe see you sometime soon.