Sunday, April 27, 2008

Humphrey Lyttleton

I was sorry to hear that Humphrey Lyttleton had died. I didn't really know him for his jazz playing (Louis Armstrong said that he was the greatest British trumpeter). I knew him from the great Radio 4 programme I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue - one of the great radio inventions, following directly from a very silly 1960s series I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again. I once saw the team live at a tribute performance to the late Willie Rushton. Lyttleton as Chairman provided the ideal foli to the comedians who appeared as panellists in this antidote to panel games. His introductions, full of smutty double entrendres that only he could get away with, said with deadpan seriousness that was superby funny. I think he is truly irreplacable, and I doubt that any further programmes will be made.

No comments: