Sunday, February 03, 2008

My Sunday morning routine not improved....



Now I usually have a Sunday morning routine - it involves a lot of medication, but it also involves the radio. This morning I woke up really early and stumbled across a fascinating item
on the World Service at 4.30 am. It was a tour of Stephen Timms MP's constituency - East Ham. This also happens to be where I live, and this was a gem of a programme. Stephen Timms is a committed Christian, and doesn't hide it. Most of his constituents aren't. A large number are Muslims, there is a big Sikh community, and there is allegedly the largest Temple outside Southern India for Hindus. A very deprived area these faiths offer comfort to the community that governmental agencies don't. There has been a tradition of Christian missions to the East End, and these missions are now continued by a variety of evangelical groups, often (but not entirely) of African or Black origins.
Anyway, back to Sundays. I enjoy the Sunday programme at 7 am, then A Point of View, just before 9 am and then Broadcasting House. At 10 am I move to Radio 2 and listen to Steve Wright's Love Songs. At 11 am I come to a problem. Before Christmas Michael Parkinson retired and was succeeded brilliantly by Clive Anderson in the Sunday Supplement slot. To my disappointment Eamonn Holmes has turned up - and he is really dire. The papers review spent a lot of time on sport - yawn yawn. Lets talk politics, current affairs and world affairs with some weight - like Parkinson and Anderson always did. Holmes doesn't seem to have any kind of intelligence. His questions and comments are banal or just silly. I think I need to change my Sunday routine.


No comments: