Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Counterpoint on Radio 4






I went to a recording (well two rounds to be exact) of the Radio 4 music quiz Counterpoint at the recently renovated Radio Theatre in Broadcasting House. A new series begins to be broadcast from 24th March. This quiz was associated for many years with the late Ned Sherrin, and will now be chaired by Paul Gambaccini, who has a very different style. I thought Ned would be irreplacable by Paul has taken the quiz in a different, perhaps lighter direction. I don't mean the quality of the questions have been diluted or the music is less serious, but his handling of the contestants is gentler, and gives them the space to think and makes the quiz somehow more tense, and enjoyable. Mr Gambaccini is also a writer of great sensitivity, and many years ago his book Love Letters, struck a great chord with me. I hope the audiences for Counterpoint will grow and grow.

No comments: