Friday, January 05, 2007

The Queen

I was so pleased to discover that this film was still showing. I saw it with friends at the Gate Picturehouse, Notting Hill Gate. I was very impressed by this film. It brought the whole hysteria of Diana's death back to me. I admit that I was a part of it - I laid flowers in Sale, Manchester. I cried on the day of her funeral. My friends still can't understand how the UK was overcome by this outpouring of grief. The public demonstration of this sadness was atypical of the UK.
The film was really superbly produced. Even though the content is so fantastical, the film convinces you that the conversations could so possibly be true. Helen Mirren is superb. She isn't like the Queen in any way. However, her mannerisms are so good belief is suspended. The other characters are well depicted too. Tony Blair's character is so credible. Lets face it this is a man who was loved - the person who so clearly worked out the mood of the nation and tapped into it. You realise how quickly he betrayed his initial hope for the nation. Cherie Blair's character was his conscience, but failed in her aim to prevent him from being seduced by the establishment. Paradoxically my affection and regard for the Queen was enhanced. She truly is the unifying force of this country and I cannot imagine what the nation would have been like without her. My rating 9 out of 10.

No comments: