Friday, January 05, 2007

Brick Lane

I've just finished reading this book for one of the reading groups I belong to. It is an impressive first novel. It is an accurate portrayal of life in a specific part of the East End in the past thirty years - although I have a feeling things have moved on in recent months and years. Like many contemporary novels it is flawed. The style is experimental. One section is written as supposed letters from the central character's sister from Bangladesh. The English is poor, and extremely irritating because I found it almost impenetrable. However, towards the end I was totally drawn in by the characters, and their decisions about returning to Bangladesh. Were they and their actions believable? Totally. Did it outline the dilemmas faced by Muslim families in an increasingly secular Britain? Completely. Rating: 7/10

No comments: