Friday, June 02, 2006

Wah-Wah

Excellent film. Superb acting - especially Celia Imrie, Miranda Richardson and Julie Walters. Although set in pre independence Swaziland this is really about the destruction and reconstruction of a family and the effects that marital break up has on the son.
As a directorial debut for Richard E Grant this is terrific. It is funny, moving, tragic, surprising in turns and is a tremendous study of snobbishness and the English abroad. The notion of 'whiting up' someone for a production of 'Camelot' was inspired. I recommend this film highly - despite the poor reviews elsewhere!

2 comments:

Bina007 said...

I thoroughly agree with your review! I can't understand the rather sniping reviews in the Guardian etc. Odd.

Steve Middleton said...

I thought it was just me!