Sunday, June 25, 2006

Constant Gardener


I was disappointed with this film. Rather like most John Le Carre's novels (none of which I've managed to finish) I was confused and slightly dazed. I'm not a great one for conspiracy theories and this was a step too far on the credibility road. Wasn't impressed by Ralph Fiennes (so laid back as to be horizontal) and a real wimp - but in an unattractive way. I couldn't believe in his relationship with his wife. All too trite - frankly I was slightly bored. A pity!

2 comments:

RC said...

ooo...now on this one, i have got to say, i liked it a lot...mostly b/c i think the director got a real sense of place, etc.

it's certainly not perfect though, but a favorite from last year.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

Steve Middleton said...

Yep - I'm not sure why I didn't rate it so highly - was it the over conspiracy theory dominance of the plot.