Sunday, March 26, 2006

Transamerica



I went to see 'Transamerica' on Friday. This is an everyday story of a man who is about to become a woman but at that very moment discovers she has a 17 year old son. The film traces their journey across America from New York where the son has been making money as a rentboy, to California where the man is to become a woman and the son thinks he will find his father who is rich and will get him a job as a filmstar.
I enjoyed this film - although it did take me most of the film to believe that Felicity Huffman was a man about to become a woman - there were only occasional moments when she behaved in anything other than a feminine way. Even when we catch a glimpse of the appendage he/she is about to have removed it still doesn't seem that she is a man! Kevin Zegers as the son was excellent - only too believable as a boy on the make - screwed up by abuse from his stepfather, and finding his mother dead.
There is a classic scene in a restaurant featuring the dysfunctional family which probably made the film worth while watching.
This isn't your average road movie and I reckon well worth seeing.

2 comments:

Calvin aka Yamada Shun 山田駿 said...

Nice, Sexy, hilarious film. Well I had my ways to get to watch the show ;).

Frank Partisan said...

I hope to catch it on video.