Saturday, March 15, 2008

Susannah - an opera by Carlisle Floyd

Now I think there is a problem with modern 'operas'. Since the invention of the musical (bit of singing, bit of acting) 'operas' seem to have gone in one of three ways - they either go so 'serious' that the music is almost impenetrable (Stockhausen?) or they ape the classics (Gershwin) or they are musicals aspiring to be something more, by using operatic singers. Susannah falls into the last category. Unfortunately the other problem with operas in the English language (unless you're watching the ENO) is that they theatre doesn't provide surtitles. Enunciation becomes essential. I'm sure that Donna Bateman (starring as the eponymous heroine) is an excellent singer but what with her operatic style and a very loud orchestra I had terrible problems working out what exactly she was going on about half the time. I've just thought of another disadvantage of modern operas versus musicals - they don't seem to go in for great memorable singalong melodies. I think you might guess by now I didn't enjoy this offering, although I think it was mainly the fact that I couldn't hear the words that spoiled it for me, the music was pleasant enough and the singers were of a good standard, but if I must go and see a tale of repressed emotions in the Southern States of America give me Oklahoma! every time. So in brief this opera is your standard American tale - community of buttoned up people with one person (Susannah) feeling liberated and cheerful - thereby attracting the approbation of the God fearing churchgoers. A hellfire preacher turns up on an evangelising mission, Susannah is observed (and condemned) for outraging public decency (swimming?) and is cast out by the Church. A boy is forced to denounce her, she is required to publicly repent, (which she refuses to do) and the Preacher (seeking her immortal soul) rapes her. Susannah's drunken brother then shoots preacher. An average happy day in Tennessee then. Rating? 5/10

6 comments:

ivy said...

Sounds like quite a story that can only be sung.

Steve Middleton said...

That's quite possible. More soap than opera perhaps too much melo in the drama?

ivy said...

Finally got to your note that you left. Soaps are quite unrealistic..but in Hollyoaks..everyone is generally miserable. Not sure how fast its catching on in the states..since I can only watch old episodes online on BBCA. They had carried old episodes last summer, but soon ran out..and cut it short. A bunch of us were very upset..so I can at least watch it online. While I had hoped after downloading software from Channel 4 so I could watch new shows..unfortunately, I don't live across the pond..they said. But I do love the show..its the only show I've ever wanted to write fan fiction about.

Steve Middleton said...

Hollyoaks is a whole new bizarre world - I can't imagine what someone from America must make of it - life in the Chester area must seem very exciting!

Unknown said...

Is it that exciting in Chester?
Its funny..watching all the drinking and how young you drink there. I guess its that in Europe..out in the open..only in the states..there is drinking and lots of underage drinking..but not in the open. And who's to say it might be better if it were in the open. Here, the big issue as of late is having alcohol at all these concerts and how to keep teenagers from drinking at the concerts when the measures they take don't seem to work.

Steve Middleton said...

Underage drinking has always been rife in the UK but now what the media calls 'binge drinking' has become a political & social problem. Hollyoaks is certainly no Dawson's Creek!