Monday, July 23, 2007

Yet More Floods - and Worse to Come


This is a picture of Newbury Station - passed to me by a friend. Between the two platforms can be dimly seen the tracks of the mainline between London Paddington and the West Country. I lived in the Newbury area for much of the 1970s. I don't recall the station being flooded during my time there. There are some very strange features to the weather this year. At the moment its raining again in London and the surge in water around Oxford should be continuing down the Thames to reach London about midday on Wednesday. Should I be panic buying in Tesco's by now? I don't think I could cope with now mains electricity or water for a week or more - how they are coping in Cheltenham, Upton, Tewkesbury and Gloucester?
Hope it stops raining soon and the rivers go down as soon as possible. Meanwhile can we really blame the government for lack of preparedness, after all it has rained the equivalent of month in a few hours, and no flood barriers could have coped.

No comments: